.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tone Clusters: the Joyce Carol Oates discussion group archive

Monday, August 23, 2004

Re: JCO: Boys at a Picnic (spoilers)

A pointless story about pointless violence? I guess that could make sense.
Once when I was in the hospital with a badly shattered leg, I needed reading
matter and got some anthology of American fiction- much of it was along
these lines, and I must say it didn't do much for my spirits! Fortunately I
got ahold of some Mark Twain, or I might not be here to write this...

In the interim I have devoured all of the North Gate stories and With
Shuddering Fall. I also read the JCO story in First Words- interesting to
note that the earliest story in By the North Gate, "In the Old World", is
only written 3 years later than the story in First Words- I suppose 17 to 20
is a big 3 years but I was amazed at how much more sophisticated the writing
was in "In the Old World".

I'd be happy to discuss anything from any of these 3 sources that strikes
anyone's fancy! BTW I was entertained that By the North Gate has the
requisite academic-setting story.
Ted

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Tone Clusters: The Joyce Carol Oates discussion group

To send a message to the group, email jco@usfca.edu
To subscribe, email majordomo@usfca.edu: subscribe jco
To unsubscribe, email majordomo@usfca.edu: unsubscribe jco