.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tone Clusters: the Joyce Carol Oates discussion group archive

Thursday, October 07, 2004

RE: JCO: Nobel prize

Hi Randy and Everyone:

>
> We do this every year. I am disappointed that JCO didn't get the
> award, but that someone with whose work I am not familiar did get
> it doesn't upset me--it just makes me curious. Who is this
> unfamiliar (to me) writer who is good enough to get a Nobel
> prize? That's kind of exciting--a directed discovery.

I agree. Jelinek may be an outstanding writer. However, I suspect that the
Academy, aside from honoring her accomplishments, may also have wanted to
send an anti-Joerg Haider message.

Steve






-------------------------------------------------------------------
Tone Clusters: The Joyce Carol Oates discussion group

To send a message to the group, email jco@usfca.edu
To subscribe, email majordomo@usfca.edu: subscribe jco
To unsubscribe, email majordomo@usfca.edu: unsubscribe jco