.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tone Clusters: the Joyce Carol Oates discussion group archive

Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Re: JCO: A Bloodsmoor Romance

Hi friends!
Jane, I was thinking of writing about this book
too. My experience was similar to yours. I was
reluctant to read such a long novel, but since we were
going to discuss it(!), I tried. I read a few pages at
a time in the bathroom. The first 60 pages were
tedious and confusing (all those sisters!), and then
suddenly I became interested and the book was promoted
to bedtime reading.
I now look forward to finding out what happens
next--unusual for me, as I usually don't have the
patience to read a novel. I enjoy the previews of what
is to come, and I find parts of the book quite
hilarious (though of course some of the humor is
rather macabre). Did you catch the bit about Daisy
Miller? I wonder how many little jokes I've missed.
Balloons are mentioned repeatedly. Why?
I smile when I read the references to the
perpetual-motion machine; when I was Canadian Consul
in Oaxaca, Mexico, I was approached several times by a
young man who had invented such a machine and wanted
to sell his plans to a foreign government.
I've read up on some of the real-life characters in
the book, such as Guiteau and Blavatsky. Perhaps JCO
bent some of the historic facts, or maybe not. I'll
refrain from commenting on these characters in order
not to spoil the book for others.
This is a fascinating look into the not-so-distant
past of our culture. Although some of the events,
attitudes, and customs seem rather dreadful or
pathetic, you can see their reflection in modern life.

Some of the older relatives seem to live to a very
old age. Even Rumford's grandfather is mentioned
briefly--when Rumford is already middle-aged. I can't
believe that JCO just didn't do the math. Are these
old hangers-on supposed to suggest influences that
survive longer than you might expect?
Laurie

=====
Better Edit!
http://www.betteredit.net
laurie@betteredit.net

"Wow, it looks a lot better than it did."
--MLIS student
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Tone Clusters: The Joyce Carol Oates discussion group

To send a message to the group, email jco@usfca.edu
To subscribe, email majordomo@usfca.edu: subscribe jco
To unsubscribe, email majordomo@usfca.edu: unsubscribe jco