.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tone Clusters: the Joyce Carol Oates discussion group archive

Thursday, October 13, 2005

Re: JCO: Nobel Prize

In a message dated 10/13/2005 9:23:36 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, RFoley7292@aol.com writes:
They are derivative from absurdist drama and actually far less impressive than the work of other absurdists who might have won (Eugene Ionesco, (if he were still alive) and Edward Albee who, if they were giving the prize to a dramatist, should have been a major contender. Nothing in Pinter's theatrical output comes even close to the depth achieved by these writers. 
I'd like to second the motion for Edward Albee. I don't know Pinter's work very well so I won't comment, but I do know Albee's work thoroughly. I would call him a deserving recipient. Some of his more experimental works are less successful (from the late 1960s and 1970s, mostly), but A Delicate Balance, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, The Goat: Or Who Is Syliva, The Zoo Story, and Seascape are all amazing theater.
 
I'm glad to hear History Boys is coming to the US. I saw it summer of 2004 in England and thought it was excellent.
 
--Andy