.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tone Clusters: the Joyce Carol Oates discussion group archive

Saturday, November 12, 2005

Re: JCO: falls/mom

Hi, Christa. Not a parody. But there are lots of characters in it
remniscent of other JCO fiction. In my opinion, she has a reperatory company of
"types." The detective was like the cop in Rape a Love Story. The Mom like the
mother in We Were the Mulvaneys. The heroine MM -- would someone please give me
her name? My friend hasn't returned my copy yet! -- seemed like a new kind of
character for JCO, the independent professional newsjournalist who is a bit
foolish in her personal life. I enjoyed that new wrinkle.
Cyrano

In a message dated 11/8/2005 12:01:12 AM Eastern Standard Time,
NotEnoughKittens@aol.com writes:

<< Yes, I'm a bit bewildered by Missing Mom. I thought it read like a
parody
of JCO's work----perhaps it was supposed to be tongue in cheek? There is
no
one as good at presenting the female psyche under pressure as Oates
is----but
none of the main character's actions or emotions rang true for me.

Christa >>
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Tone Clusters: The Joyce Carol Oates discussion group

To send a message to the group, email jco@usfca.edu
To subscribe, email majordomo@usfca.edu: subscribe jco
To unsubscribe, email majordomo@usfca.edu: unsubscribe jco