.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tone Clusters: the Joyce Carol Oates discussion group archive

Sunday, May 13, 2007

JCO: Missing Mom

I've just finished reading "Missing Mom". I was truly moved by it maybe because I have recently experienced the death of my sister, with whom we were very close, and I could relate to Nikki's feelings so well. Nikki tried to impersonate her mother and I tried to impersonate my sister – like Nikki I have tried to become a new me. The subject of death of the loved ones and our coping mechanisms to survive without them is quite painful to those who have been through it but maybe quite abstract to those who have not. Has anybody read a good novel that handles the topic as sensitively as JCO?
Cheers, Marie

To send a message to the group, email jco@usfca.edu
To unsubscribe, email majordomo@usfca.edu: unsubscribe jco

Celestial Timepiece: A Joyce Carol Oates Home Page