.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tone Clusters: the Joyce Carol Oates discussion group archive

Thursday, October 07, 2004

Re: JCO: Nobel prize/Oates Country

It is so obvious that we are biased about who should receive the Nobel Prize. I think she will someday be the recipiant.
 
So, to change the subject . . ..
 
My best friend and I are going on vacation to Oates Country (a.k.a. Western New York) at the end of this month. Being from Central Illinois, where the Illinois River is the only thing to break up the corn fields that replaced the magnificent parries that once covered this land, I am excited to see the landscape of so many of JCO's stories.
 
Also, having just finish The Falls, I'm quite excited to see Niagara Falls for the first time!
 
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I get to see her speak about The Falls in Chicago on Nov. 13 at the Chicago Humanities Festival.  What a JCO season this fall will be for me! Almost makes me forget about the civil war about to happen in this country (okay I'm exaggerating, I meant the upcoming elections).
 
I would love someone to start a conversation on The Falls. Cyrano, are you game?
 
Your Fellow JCO Enthusiast,
 
Jane Ward