.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tone Clusters: the Joyce Carol Oates discussion group archive

Friday, September 09, 2005

Re: JCO: Upon the Sweeping Flood

I was interested to see (in a horrified sort of way) that the only response on these boards to the tragedy in New Orleans is to compare it to one of JCO's short stories.  No one expressed any sorrow or outrage at the fact that these people were left to suffer for five days before any help came; two of you long for the twentieth century, and one of you is contemptuous of those people "up north" who are taking evacuees into their houses.
 
I am in South Carolina, which I suppose is north of New Orleans; I have taken in a small family of evacuees.  If it turns into a JCO short story----if I am looted, raped, or murdered---I will certainly tell you, or (if dead) get a friend to pass along the word to you.
 
How George Bush would approve of your detachment!  and how impressed I am that you have gotten this far in life with such a remarkable lack of compassion.  Let me give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you are sending money or collecting food for those people, as long as they stay away from you.
 
Christa