.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tone Clusters: the Joyce Carol Oates discussion group archive

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Re: JCO: My Sister, My Love

Relax, Jakon.  It's just a book
Cyrano
 
In a message dated 6/18/2008 4:50:57 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, jakon247@gmail.com writes:

I think this is the first book that has ever intimidated me – even before the many reviews and before I've given the first few pages a shot.   I've had the advance reading copy on my desk for weeks, and the hard copy for days, and all I can manage is to crack it open and glance at a few words here and there. 

 

Perhaps it's the style I'm not accustomed to...novella in a novel, footnotes, interviews, font changes, post-it-notes.  I think it is brilliant, and this adds to my intimidation.  Will I be able to get everything out of it?  Will I completely understand it?  Is it above me?

 

I've snatched up everything by JCO in the past and haven't felt this feeling before. 
 
 So, I look forward to discussing the latest with you all, and I'll make an attempt to overcome my fears tonight.

 

Am I alone when it comes to confronting the work of an artist like her, or is it just me?

 

-Thanks- jakon     

 




Gas prices getting you down? Search AOL Autos for fuel-efficient used cars.