.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tone Clusters: the Joyce Carol Oates discussion group archive

Saturday, September 18, 2004

JCO: Sunday NY Times Book Review of The Falls

Hi friends!
I guess she isn't everyone's favorite. A couple of
weeks ago, someone shared a writeup from a British
newspaper. I thought it said some similar things but
in a nicer way. (Wish I could remember the
particulars--something about her being uneven or
unpolished?)
Many people consider On the Waterfront and Lord of
the Rings to be wonderful movies. But to me they were
so awful that I couldn't even sit through them. And
I'm not really that hard to please.
Maybe the NYT tries to present various opinions.
Certainly that reviewer must not be the only person
who doesn't like JCO. But as you say, Ted, I don't
suppose she is too worried.
The way he described it, it still sounded like a
good story to me! Sounds like Niagara Falls is a kind
of metaphor? I don't know if I'll read this one, as I
seldom read novels.
I read the first 60 pages or so of Bloodsmoor about
a month ago. It was good, but I can't see reading the
rest of it!
Laurie

=====
Better Edit!
http://www.betteredit.net
laurie@betteredit.net

"Wow, it looks a lot better than it did."
--MLIS student
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Tone Clusters: The Joyce Carol Oates discussion group

To send a message to the group, email jco@usfca.edu
To subscribe, email majordomo@usfca.edu: subscribe jco
To unsubscribe, email majordomo@usfca.edu: unsubscribe jco