.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tone Clusters: the Joyce Carol Oates discussion group archive

Friday, September 03, 2004

Re: JCO:An Encounter with the Blind

Hi Cyrano and Ted,
 
I read "Encounter with the Blind" before the cascade ended our conversation. I can see the connection to "Where Are You Going..." and will read it again with that in mind. I'm also going to reread "Images" keeping that "time technique" you mentioned in mind.
 
Jane
 
P.S.
Bloodsmoor should be here this weekend. I'll move forward with that in preparation for discussion if such incurs.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, September 03, 2004 6:19 AM
Subject: Re: JCO:An Encounter with the Blind

Oh, I did read that a few months ago.  I remember it pretty well now.  It
struck me as the companion piece to the later short story "Where Are You Going
Where Have You Been?"  Only the hapless victim carried away by a killer at the
end of the story is an elderly male instead of a girl.  But I will reread it
anyway.
Cyrano
 

In a message dated 9/3/2004 12:23:26 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
music@thenightshades.com writes:

<< I was reading a trashy true crime book
 about Aileen Wournos, a hitchhiking serial killer and prostitute, and
 wondered if it was the inspiration for Starr Bright, but An Encounter is was
 written when Aileen was just a child. (Of course, Blind Boy is just a
 child!)
 >>
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Tone Clusters: The Joyce Carol Oates discussion group

To send a message to the group, email jco@usfca.edu
To subscribe, email majordomo@usfca.edu: subscribe jco
To unsubscribe, email majordomo@usfca.edu: unsubscribe jco