.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tone Clusters: the Joyce Carol Oates discussion group archive

Monday, September 20, 2004

Re: JCO: The Falls

Hi, Chris. Ariah is a difficult heroine -- a real pain in the neck. And she
gets less likeable as the novel goes on. She grows into something like
Loretta in THEM -- Loretta with an education and some money. But the novel did
carry me along. I was never tempted to put it aside as I was with My Heart
Laid Bare. The Falls is not among my top 25 JCO books -- or even top 50. But
I'm glad I read it. I'll be interested to know what you make of the Woman in
Black. Is she a real figure or an Arnold Friend-like fantasy/myth?
Cyrano

In a message dated 9/20/2004 10:53:20 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
cpace@jupitermedia.com writes:

<< I'm about 60 pages into The Falls, and I am hooked. To be honest, though, I
felt the first 20 or so pages were written by a different person. Much of
the language seems forced and contrived, and I was starting to wonder if the
whole book was going to be like that, and then it seems to settle into its
rhythm and Oates's familiar voice shines through >>
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Tone Clusters: The Joyce Carol Oates discussion group

To send a message to the group, email jco@usfca.edu
To subscribe, email majordomo@usfca.edu: subscribe jco
To unsubscribe, email majordomo@usfca.edu: unsubscribe jco